What is a router?
Routers are the Layer 3 device that forwards packets between networks. Each network has a router. The router goes in-between the modem and the rest of the devices on the network. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines a router as “a device that mediates the transmission routes of data packets over an electronic communications network (such as the Internet). A router inspects a given data packet’s destination IP address, calculates the best way for it to reach its destination and then forwards it accordingly.
The router creates a network between the computers in a home or office, while a modem connects that network – and thus the computers on it – to the Internet. When connected to Wi-Fi, you’re really connecting to a router, which forwards traffic between the Internet and the client PC or device.
Magna5 NetVanta Models
Magna5 provides routers manufactured by NetVanta to our customers.
The NetVanta 1335 integrates a modular IP access router, 24-port layer 2/3 PoE switch, firewall, VPN appliance, DSU/CSU, and a Wi-Fi® Access Controller, all in one platform. In addition, the NetVanta 1335, injected with RapidRoute technology, delivers enhanced performance necessary for IP telephony, corporate connectivity and Internet access, even with advanced services enabled.
Based on the ADTRAN® Operating System (AOS), the NetVanta 1335 allows for the support of standards-based switching and routing functions. Switching features include 802.1Q VLANs, Storm Control, 802.1D and 802.1w Spanning/ Rapid Spanning Tree, Link Aggregation, Port Mirroring, GVRP, and Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) to auto-discover neighboring Ethernet devices. For IP routing, it enables fast, accurate network convergence using routing protocols such as BGP, OSPF, RIP, static and default routes, and demand routing. Other features include:
- Multiservice Access Router with integrated Layer 3 PoE switch, and 802.11a/b/g Dual Radios
- RapidRoute™ technology for greater performance
- Supports up to two T1s worth of bandwidth
- 24-port Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, or 802.3af PoE functionality
- Gigabit SFP/1000Base-T Ethernet port(s) support stacking capability
- Stacking up to 16 switches using single IP address to manage
- 8.8 Gbps non-blocking switching capacity
- Link Aggregation, GVRP and LLDP
- MAC-based port security
- SIP ALG for NAT traversal in VoIP applications
- IPSec VPN for secure corporate connectivity across the Internet
- Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
- Recognizable Command Line Interface (CLI) and intuitive Web GUI
Explanation of the light panel.